EGIP – Major Transport
Working with you to interpret your requirements and plan effective solutions to manage your projects accordingly.
Key Partner In Major Transport Project
Optilan deployed specialist services to help deliver one of the biggest infrastructure programmes in Scotland in recent years.
EGIP is a comprehensive package of improvements to Scotland’s railway infrastructure. Delivered by Network Rail, its main elements have included modernising and upgrading key junctions and infrastructure as well as widespread electrification of the Scottish network.
Work was undertaken to electrify more than 150 route kilometres – which required significant track, signalling and telecoms works.
Within the telecoms scope, Optilan was tasked with delivering the blown fibre (BF) network, which provided the backbone for a new VOIP telephony system and ‘infilled’ sections where no diverse fibre cable route existed.
The installed fibre network was to be used for telecoms, signalling and alarm purposes.
The Optilan Approach
Optilan developed a clear understanding of the bigger programme picture and planned methodically as it prepared to deliver the scope. Optilan professionals:
- Prepared the work schedule months in advance, factoring in the programme’s limited daily working window and the operations of other alliance partners. They timetabled access to areas where there would be least disruption to its work – whilst also ensuring the dependencies were in place to enable the delivery of the BF and return screening conductor (RSC)
- Performed duct installation work only once logistical complexities had been overcome and large-scale cable and duct drums had been safely set up on site; Optilan personnel planned the locations of cable pulling set-up positions to minimise unnecessary over-pulling of the cable
- Took careful account of future servicing and maintenance requirements. Among other measures, they assessed the cable joint and termination positions and included service loops, so that the duct and cables could be subsequently broken into and jointed/terminated.
The scope of works comprised the design consultancy, supply, install, test and commission of:
- 75km of blown fibre ducting to house
- 30km of 48 core blown fibre mini-cable
- 75km of 4 core blown fibre bundle
- Blowing fibre in to Boxes on Posts (BOPs), FTN-X nodes, stations, etc
- 75km of return screening conductor and termination on to spider plates.
‘Co-ordinating our work with that of other delivery partners meant not only planning the works well in advance, but also being highly flexible and ready to adapt to programme changes. All our activities had to be planned carefully so as not to impact upon the availability of the fibre network for the signalling contractor to undertake Soak testing, and similarly when the RSC was required for overhead line equipment testing. The deployment of our specialist design consultancy service proved pivotal to project success, especially given the multiple providers involved in the programme. It helped to underpin design content accuracy as well as on-site buildability and the “buy-in” for site works to commence at the earliest time.’
Eamonn BradyDIRECTOR OF SALES FOR TELECOMS, CNI & RAIL (UK), OPTILAN
Tell Us Your Requirements. Discover Your Untapped Potential
Related Case Studies
Quality Projects Delivered
We support our clients at every step of their project, across capital brown or green field, with vast experience in many industries, from windfarms to fiber cabling – our project experience is unrivalled.
- EuropeView Project
Network Rail – Crossrail North East SpurView Project
Network Rail – Kent & South East LondonView Project
- South America
Quintero LNGView Project
Trans Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP)View Project